Thursday, September 29, 2011

Something "Wrong"; Something "Right"








        It was, indeed, as though this, the very first of the strange scenes I was to witness in the land of Moribundia, had been specially prepared for me – so arranged that the members of the community were spread out before me, for my benefit, as it were, in a state of absolute naturalness and unself-consciousness, and so absorbed in their own rites that a stranger could move among them with less conspicuousness than a ghost.




 
        I knew at once that I must seize this moment – drink in these unspoiled impressions while I could and keeping close to the trees, I began to circle slowly, but without stealth in the direction of the pavilion.  




          It was not until I passed the second or third group of boys lying sprawled across the grass that I became aware that something was ‘wrong’ – had my first intimation, in other words, that this world  into which I had come had certain physical characteristics and peculiarities which differed, however faintly, from those in the world from which I had come.   There was, in fact, something ‘wrong’ about these boys  themselves.  And this something ‘wrong’ derived from the fact that there was something much too ‘right’ about them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment