Friday, December 30, 2011

The Cow (Robert Louis Stevenson)









The friendly cow all red and white,
I love with all my heart:
She gives me cream with all her might,
To eat with apple-tart.


She wanders lowing here and there,
And yet she cannot stray,
All in the pleasant open air,
The pleasant light of day;

And blown by all the winds that pass
And wet with all the showers,
She walks among the meadow grass
And eats the meadow flowers.







NOTES:


1. From A Child's Garden of Verses (1885)


2.  Most days I drive from Berwyn to Bryn Mawr along Darby-Paoli, turning left on Conestoga Road.  On either side spread two large cow pastures, which are home to a single herd of beautiful black cows.  The cows are either in one pasture or the other -- never in both simultaneously.  We have never been able to figure out how they cross the road and no one has ever been able to explain this phenomenon to us.  Either people are totally uninterested, they are all participating in a conspiracy against my family or, as I actually believe, these are magical cows.  


3.  Link: Shirley Temple recites The Cow in Dora's Dunking Donuts (1933)


4.  Paintings by Thomas Hewes Hinkley, 1869, Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.  


5.  Link: The Cow (Paul Bowles)




4 comments:

  1. If there are magical cows, you certainly have found them. At the very least, "is a puzzlement" (The King & I, Rodgers & Hammerstein). Very nice colors on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. They're magical cows all right. This has been a four-and-a-half year observation period. The experimental data is complete and just waiting for someone to try to disprove it. Our house is nicely haunted also. I'm hopeful all this augurs well for 2012. These (and a few other grace notes, such as our correspondence) are what made 2011 less than unbearable. Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful ode to the COW, they do not get enough respect. I was always-as a child and still am-of the LOWING of COWS. It has great appeal.Curtis thank you for your comments at my place, I do not get OUT as much as I should and comment-but I do try to keep up appearances. Best in the New Year, always admire and appreciate your unique point of view. pgt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gaye. Your kind words really do warm up a freezing house in the Hudson Valley. (Two zones out; plumber has been called; curious, hoping not to be furious.) A visit to Little Augury is usually all I need to raise my mood. We're hoping for a more "even" 2012, although looking back, our 2011 wasn't as trying as it was for many people. Dealing with a genuine client emergency yesterday, I was very grateful that I had clients who trusted me to handle their emergencies. Happy 2012 to you and yours. If you ever visit the Philadelphia area (we're in Berwyn, in the Main Line suburbs), please let me know. Curtis

    ReplyDelete