Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sittin' On My Sofa (Happy Birthday Ray Davies)









All alone, sitting on my sofa,
Oh, oh, oh, sitting on my sofa,
Sipping at my soda,
Sitting on my sofa.

You got all your friends,
I got a TV set.
You got your cars,
And this boy's never had anything.

Now I'm stuck here, sitting on my sofa,
Oh, oh, oh, sitting on my sofa,
Sipping at my soda,
Sitting on my sofa.


The Kinks:  Sittin' On My Sofa (Link)

Song/recording details: Recorded December 29-30, 1965 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London; 3-track mixed to mono; Writers:  R. Davies/D. Davies; Personnel:  Ray Davies (lead vocal, acoustic guitar); Dave Davies (electric guitar, backing vocal); Pete Quaife (bass guitar); Mick Avory (drums); Nicky Hopkins (piano); Shel Talmy (producer); Alan MacKenzie (engineer).





 


Note:  From the very first time I heard it a very long time ago, I've loved Sittin' On My Sofa.

It's just a great, great Kinks song featuring the original band, plus the extraordinary Nicky Hopkins on piano, in top form.

Happy birthday, Ray.  Phone Dave.






Ray Davies backstage somewhere in 1965 or 1966 pictured with members of The Liverbirds (Mary McGlory, bass player, far left and Pamela Birch, guitarist-vocalist, blonde bouffant and mascara, center). Dave Davies is in the background on the right.  Photo: Bernd Owsnicki.

2 comments:

  1. Jane used to always play me Kinks songs over video chat. I also think I saw them on a couple lists when I was still doing 70s research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope you like this one. I do, quite a bit. The Kinks form a big part of me. They're a sort of Alpha and Omega rock experience. Funny that they basically exist on record and in filmed footage now. I saw them perform live so very many times and like many people would also say, I never felt more alive than when I saw them. Ray and Dave Davies work separately now, which is too bad. Let's chat. I can bring the imagery together for you. As they say (regrettably, but accurately in this case): Soon To Be A Major Motion Picture. Warm tonight, no? Curtis

    ReplyDelete