Tuesday, August 6, 2013

IT CAN HAPPEN HERE





THE TYPES WERE SPOOFING MADLY WHEN MR YARROW JOINED them in the pub.  Three matches each and you had to guess the total;  they greeted him with clenched fists raised like a party salute:  ‘Come on Yarrow, get them up,’ ‘Room for you in the next round,’ but Mr Yarrow as a rule guessed wrong, and he disliked losing.


‘Be with you in a moment, boys.’  He forced his way through to the bar; behind him the fists were flourished again in the air and the stranger, entering at that moment, stopped in astonishment, believing he had blundered into the beginning of a fight.





From:  Julian Maclaren-Ross, The Dark Diceman (1947), unfinished novel based on the Eugen Weidmann mass-murderer case in Paris, 1939.

Buddy Holly: Learning The Game (Link)

3 comments:

  1. Funny, but years ago when I really became aware of the extent of snooping I found myself partially addressing this unknown witness as I write online. In fact sometimes I blatantly do, especially when I'm upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is currently a big subject for me also, which I'm very sorry about because I feel powerless. It reminds me of William Burroughs' remark about paranoia simply being having the right information. Curtis

      Delete
    2. And, by the way, The Dark Diceman is pretty good. I'm a very big fan of Julian Maclaren-Ross. Curtis

      Delete