Friday, November 1, 2013

SO FINE (GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS ON STRANGE CASE OF DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE)





Gerard Manley Hopkins


     ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ I have read.  You speak of the ‘gross absurdity’ of the interchange.  Enough that it is impossible and might perhaps have been a little better masked: it must be connived at, and it gives rise to a fine situation.  It is not more impossible than fairies, giants, heathen gods, and lots of things that literature teems with – and none more than yours.  You are certainly wrong about Hyde being overdrawn: my Hyde is worse.  The trampling scene is perhaps a convention: he was thinking of something unsuitable for fiction.  I can by no means grant that the characters are not characterized, though how deep the springs of their surface action are I am not yet clear.  But the superficial touches of character are admirable: how can you be so blind as not to see them?  e.g.  Utterson frowning, biting the end of this finger, and saying to the butler ‘This is a strange tale you tell me, my man, a very strange tale.’  And Dr. Lanyon:  ‘I used to like it, sir [life]; yes sir, I liked it.  Sometimes I think if we knew all’ etc.   These are worthy of Shakespeare. 

Excerpt:  Gerard Manley Hopkins, In Defense of Treasure Island and Jekyll and Hyde, from a letter to Robert Bridges, October 28, 1886.





Robert Bridges


The Byrds: So Fine (Link)

No comments:

Post a Comment